Visionary, motivational speaker, leader, role model, and a great athlete. These are all words describing the Hall of fame basketball player Kobe Bryant who lost his life along with his daughter Gianna and other 8 people in a fatal helicopter crash in Calabasas on the 26th of January.
To pay respects to the extraordinary deeds Kobe created in his career that motivated people of all ages around the world, we’ve prepared 5 quotes of Kobe that will motivate you to strive for greatness and find the importance of things you might even consider mundane.
- “As I sit here now, when I take off my shoe and I look down at my scar, I see beauty in it. I see all the hard work, all the sacrifices. I see the journey that it took to get back to this point of being healthy. And I see beauty in that struggle. That’s what makes it beautiful.”
- „It’s the one thing you can control. You are responsible for how people remember you – or don’t. So don’t take it lightly.“
- “I’ll do whatever it takes to win games, whether it’s sitting on a bench waving a towel, handing a cup of water to a teammate, or hitting the game-winning shot.”
- „Pain doesn’t tell you when you ought to stop. Pain is the little voice in your head that tries to hold you back because it knows if you continue you will change.“
- „Use your success, wealth and influence to put them in the best position to realize their own dreams and find their true purpose.“
An insert of a 2016 interview Kobe did show his hunger not only to be the best but also to understand one’s influence and how to use it to help others. Here Kobe talked about how „the most important thing in life is how your career touches those around you.“
He tells his story about a young boy who dreamed to become the best basketball player of all time. At 17 years old he used to practice day and night and his fuel was the hunger to achieve a dream he would discover it is a fickle one – he realized that the most important thing is how his career moves and touches those around him and carries it onward to the next generation.
He continues to say „if I had the power to turn back time I would never use it. Think about it. Because then every moment you go through means absolutely nothing.“
KOBE’S VOLUNTEER WORK
Kobe kept a low profile about his volunteer work during his career but he touched lives of countless people. He was the official ambassador for After-School All-Stars, a national children’s charity that provides after-school programs and he dedicated his time volunteering in Make-A-Wish Foundation, NBA Cares and The Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
In 2006, he and his wife Vanessa, launched a program dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need, both domestically and globally, and to encourage young people to stay active through sports. In 2007 he launched the Kobe Basketball Academy, at which he mentored and trains athletes ages 8-18.
Throughout his career, Kobe represented an inspiration – on and off the basketball field. His passion and philanthropy for the game and giving back to the communities around the world is something to look up to and cherish as a motivation to spread the light.